Fancy chowing down on a comfort dish for the cooler months? Try this nourishing vego recipe from Good + Simple.
3 large zucchinis
For the ‘Béchamel’ sauce
80g Parmesan or pecorino, finely grated, plus extra for sprinkling
For the tomato sauce
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
120g sundried tomatoes (about 20 pieces) in oil, drained
3 tablespoons tomato purée
A pinch of sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Add the ingredients for the ‘Béchamel’ sauce to a food
processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl
and set aside.
2. Add the ingredients for the tomato sauce to the food processor
(no need to clean out the bowl) and blend until smooth.
3. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, finely slice the
zucchinis lengthways into 3mm-thick pieces.
4. Preheat the oven to fan 180°C. Spread about
half the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 16cm x 22cm
ovenproof dish which is at least 8cm deep, as a thin layer.
Top with about a third of the courgette slices in an even layer.
Cover the courgettes with about half the ‘Béchamel’ sauce,
then top with half the remaining courgettes in an even layer.
5. Repeat the layering with the remaining tomato sauce,
courgettes and ‘Béchamel’, then sprinkle over a final layer
of Parmesan to finish.
6. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from
the oven and leave to stand for 5–10 minutes before serving.
Extracted from Good + Simple by Melissa and Jasmine Hemsley (Ebury Publishing, $49.99).
Recipe: Melissa and Jasmine Hemsley / Photography: Nick Hopper