Who writes here? In this ‘11 Things About’ mini-series, the people behind child mags blog (hi!) let you in on a few of their quirks and secrets.
1. I’m outing my mum here, she used to leave me (her little bookworm) in Westfield bookstores while she did the grocery shopping– one happy kid and it ended up cheaper for her, (I’d read an entire Baby Sitter’s Club ‘novel’ in her absence).
2. I dabbled in everything from journalism to PR and the freelance world – before I realised language was my thing and here I am, thrilled to be sub-editor at CHILD!
3. Music is life – Radiohead and Beach House are my fave bands but give me any song and I’ll listen to it.
4. In another life, I’d be a chef in France or Italy.
5. I’m an audience fiend – If you think I look familiar it’s probably because you’ve seen me the audience on SBS Insight or ABC’s Q&A many, many times. Although it’s more of a case of five seconds of fame…
6. My ethnicity is Syrian and I have the most cherished memories of travelling there as a kid – before the country became a news headline.
7. My ultimate, most favourite, where-I-see-myself-in-ten-years ‘dream’ is to write and publish a fictional book and sell a bunch of copies, (and if I’m in a good mood – I dream it wins awards).
8. The Art Gallery of NSW is my safe place – if I need cheering up, time alone or inspiration, that’s where I head.
9. In my humble opinion – the 90s was the golden age!
10. If I could choose one talent it would be to a have a good singing voice! I really, really don’t. (But I can rap the whole of Lauryn Hill’s Doo Wop That Thing).
11. I’m obsessed with attending Poetry and The Moth Storytelling Slams (as an audience member) – I’ll get up there one day.