We just wanted to take a moment to celebrate Miffy, the glorious little bunny, after the sad passing of her creator Dick Bruna in February.
For me, growing up in Ireland, Miffy books were a big part of my childhood. When they started arriving in Australia, the simple design and familiar little face instantly brought me back. Ahhh, sweet nostalgia.
And this is why I couldn’t be more excited to see that cute head popping up all over the place right now!
Five Facts About Miffy
- Bruna first drew sketches of a little bunny to entertain his young son whilst on a rainy seaside holiday in Holland. Each night he made up stories about the bunny and Miffy was born.
- Miffy is a girl, because Dick Bruna preferred drawing dresses to trousers.
- Dick Bruna published 124 children’s picture books and sold over 85 million storybooks worldwide; today his books are translated into more than 50 languages.
- Every picture of Miffy was created by hand using pencil, black poster paint and coloured card. Often it could take Bruna all day to get her expression just right.
- A Miffy soft toy was featured in the BBC’s Modern Masters series. The Matisse programme showed how Dick Bruna (alongside designer Paul Smith and others) had been heavily influenced by Matisse’s use of colour and simplicity.
If you have kids (or adults) who love Miffy head to www.miffy.com or download one of the many Miffy apps.